Wow, it's been a little while
Well, the problem with not having written in my blog for a while is that a recap seems necessary, and now of course I don't want to go into detail. So, briefly:
Went down to central Ohio on Wednesday, dropped into Kenyon and spent a lovely few hours with the Po-Mo Renaissance Man, then hung out with my aunt and cousins for a while in a time share in a neighborhood a few miles away. Very low-key, pleasant, relaxing. Then on Thanksgiving, into Columbus to spend it with Kari's family, a very enjoyable affair, though as always I tend to worry too much about myself and my behavior around the family of my lady. It's a chronic habit, one I mean to kick sooner or later. Brunch with some of Kari's pals the following morning, also enjoyable.
Then home to a mellow Friday night and Saturday, playing videogames, and then last night we went to acquire Mr. Lucas in order to facilitate some hangouts, which was awesome. Watched the Battlestar TV movie, which was great in every aspect except their appallingly tacked-on subtitle-slash-metaphor. "This war forces us all to become razors?" The only thing forced is that imagery. Nevertheless, things are abrewing again in the Galactica universe, which makes me a happy man.
I finished "Children of Mana" for the DS this weekend, and although I'm sure few who read this really care, I feel bound to tell the few who might that it's a simple but respectable dungeon crawler. It might, if one were to try the wireless, multi-card multiplayer, be as enjoyable a team effort as Crystal Chronicles once was, but as it is it simply represents some satisfyingly executed, mindless hack and slash.
It's ironic, because from an objective standpoint I don't have time for games like this. If I want to really sample the best, most important games that are on the market right now so that I can remain truly involved in the culture of my hobby, I really can't afford to spend twenty hours slamming on the A button in order to exterminate a floor full of snakes. And yet here I am. I suppose, when it comes down to it, "bad guys are bad guys and XPs are XPs," as Kari might say.
I just picked up Heroes of Mana and Kari nabbed Phantom Hourglass, so we'll let you know how those go over for us.
Having Lucas over was really and truly a blessing, for the Thanksgiving holiday is not the same without a few days of mindless sloth with friends. I only wish I were better prepared for the weeks ahead, though really I'm in no urgent state. I want it to be Christmas break, but I know that those three weeks are going to be crammed with delightful filial and fraternal obligations I look forward to and enormous amounts of planning and crafting for school, which I know I will attempt to avoid at all costs. But three weeks is not very long, and really if I want to be on top of my game for next semester I'm going to have to do more work over my break than I ever had to during college.
I am tired, and worried, and I don't want to go to bed because tomorrow means work again. It's the first time I've felt this way in a long while, and I feel grateful for that fact but that does not change the fact that that's the way I feel.
It's entirely possible that in the morning, this whole business will look quite different. I pray that this is the case.
Went down to central Ohio on Wednesday, dropped into Kenyon and spent a lovely few hours with the Po-Mo Renaissance Man, then hung out with my aunt and cousins for a while in a time share in a neighborhood a few miles away. Very low-key, pleasant, relaxing. Then on Thanksgiving, into Columbus to spend it with Kari's family, a very enjoyable affair, though as always I tend to worry too much about myself and my behavior around the family of my lady. It's a chronic habit, one I mean to kick sooner or later. Brunch with some of Kari's pals the following morning, also enjoyable.
Then home to a mellow Friday night and Saturday, playing videogames, and then last night we went to acquire Mr. Lucas in order to facilitate some hangouts, which was awesome. Watched the Battlestar TV movie, which was great in every aspect except their appallingly tacked-on subtitle-slash-metaphor. "This war forces us all to become razors?" The only thing forced is that imagery. Nevertheless, things are abrewing again in the Galactica universe, which makes me a happy man.
I finished "Children of Mana" for the DS this weekend, and although I'm sure few who read this really care, I feel bound to tell the few who might that it's a simple but respectable dungeon crawler. It might, if one were to try the wireless, multi-card multiplayer, be as enjoyable a team effort as Crystal Chronicles once was, but as it is it simply represents some satisfyingly executed, mindless hack and slash.
It's ironic, because from an objective standpoint I don't have time for games like this. If I want to really sample the best, most important games that are on the market right now so that I can remain truly involved in the culture of my hobby, I really can't afford to spend twenty hours slamming on the A button in order to exterminate a floor full of snakes. And yet here I am. I suppose, when it comes down to it, "bad guys are bad guys and XPs are XPs," as Kari might say.
I just picked up Heroes of Mana and Kari nabbed Phantom Hourglass, so we'll let you know how those go over for us.
Having Lucas over was really and truly a blessing, for the Thanksgiving holiday is not the same without a few days of mindless sloth with friends. I only wish I were better prepared for the weeks ahead, though really I'm in no urgent state. I want it to be Christmas break, but I know that those three weeks are going to be crammed with delightful filial and fraternal obligations I look forward to and enormous amounts of planning and crafting for school, which I know I will attempt to avoid at all costs. But three weeks is not very long, and really if I want to be on top of my game for next semester I'm going to have to do more work over my break than I ever had to during college.
I am tired, and worried, and I don't want to go to bed because tomorrow means work again. It's the first time I've felt this way in a long while, and I feel grateful for that fact but that does not change the fact that that's the way I feel.
It's entirely possible that in the morning, this whole business will look quite different. I pray that this is the case.
5 Comments:
I just got the first season of Battlestar from the library and can't wait to start watching it. Phantom Hourglass is on my Christmas list, second only to season two of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (because,not-so-secretly, I'm still a complete child). I'm sorry I couldn't hustle up to C-bus to see you guys. Rest assured that you're on my agenda for the week I'm home for Christmas, though. ;o)
Also, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your ankle?
Christmas Break, Christmas Break, Christmas Break, CHRISTMAS BREAK WILL BE AWESOME.
I miss you, brother. Is it raining in Ohio? Snowing? It hasn't rained here for a month but it's 75 and sunny and that's fine with me. Happy belated dia de gracias!
Sir, the sloth in my holiday was sorely lacking. I have missed you guys.
On the plus side, my flights for Christmas have been aranged and I shll be home for the week of the 21st to the 28th
I'm seeking steampunk tales. Any suggestions?
Good to hear from you again.
In response to your comment Anthony's musings---
Can we agree that while:
SteamPunk > CyberPunk
The Difference Engine < Neuromancer
?
PS: How about being William Gibson, hmm? You invent Steampunk, Cyberpunk, Virtual Reality, "Cyberspace"...and you still look like a professor on the back of your novels.
Although, almost in RE: to Gaiman's leather coat look, he is spotted wearing a black trenchcoat. Hmmmmm...
Geeked out,
J
Post a Comment
<< Home