They are always coming
Just finished China Mieville's Iron Council.
Mieville writes fantasy that feels gritty, real, vulgar. He kills characters as I imagine people die in real life--without drama, without importance. His worlds are not safe. I feel as though I could learn a lot from him.
Yet another novel which is political without being allegorical (well, mostly). It's profoundly personal. It's hard to get through at 600+ pages, and while Perdido Street Station and The Scar aren't required reading for plot reasons they certainly help to understand the world of New Crobuzon.
I don't know. It is a story which sinks into one's gut and sits there, brooding, as though it might burst unexpectedly sometime in the future. I wish there were other people I know who had the interest and voracity for books which I imagine would be necessary to take on a Mieville novel. I seem to recall that Jordan got a little way into Perdido, but to my knowledge others haven't tried him. I wish that others had read him, because trying to describe him is like trying to describe a profoundly disturbing dream: one can never really communicate the sensation to someone else, but one knows that if the other person were to understand, the connection between them and you would be... comforting, at least. Perhaps gratifying?
Not much else to report. Kari and I have finally sampled Mario Galaxy, and it is delicious like a savory treat.
I have to work a lot next week, and I have to stay late tomorrow, and I am very stressed about work, but the weekend holds the promise of Ryan Lucas and Avenue Q at Playhouse Square and maybe a little Cloverfield thrown into the mix. Also, sometime in the next week or so, Advance Wars: Days of Fucking God Damn Ruin drops, and I'm going to have to get a piece of that. It might be a dangerous purchase, but I think that if I can withstand Puzzle Quest, I'm probably good to go, right?
Mieville writes fantasy that feels gritty, real, vulgar. He kills characters as I imagine people die in real life--without drama, without importance. His worlds are not safe. I feel as though I could learn a lot from him.
Yet another novel which is political without being allegorical (well, mostly). It's profoundly personal. It's hard to get through at 600+ pages, and while Perdido Street Station and The Scar aren't required reading for plot reasons they certainly help to understand the world of New Crobuzon.
I don't know. It is a story which sinks into one's gut and sits there, brooding, as though it might burst unexpectedly sometime in the future. I wish there were other people I know who had the interest and voracity for books which I imagine would be necessary to take on a Mieville novel. I seem to recall that Jordan got a little way into Perdido, but to my knowledge others haven't tried him. I wish that others had read him, because trying to describe him is like trying to describe a profoundly disturbing dream: one can never really communicate the sensation to someone else, but one knows that if the other person were to understand, the connection between them and you would be... comforting, at least. Perhaps gratifying?
Not much else to report. Kari and I have finally sampled Mario Galaxy, and it is delicious like a savory treat.
I have to work a lot next week, and I have to stay late tomorrow, and I am very stressed about work, but the weekend holds the promise of Ryan Lucas and Avenue Q at Playhouse Square and maybe a little Cloverfield thrown into the mix. Also, sometime in the next week or so, Advance Wars: Days of Fucking God Damn Ruin drops, and I'm going to have to get a piece of that. It might be a dangerous purchase, but I think that if I can withstand Puzzle Quest, I'm probably good to go, right?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home