15 May 2006

the million year day

Yeah, today lasted approximately as long as it took for life to be created in the Earth's oceans in those first blissful moments of our planet's creation.

I am so tired right now, and I really should crash. I feel the need to consistently update this, however, as writing continuously is one of the ways I make myself feel as though I am working towards a goal in life. I am meaningfully occupied, if you will.

I have become aware of the fact that members of my extended family may now be reading this blog. It did not occur to me that I was writing for such an audience-- I imagined that I was blogging into the void, if you will, a void occupied solely by a few close friends, my sister, and perhaps occasionally my parents.

So, uh, I apologize for any previous instances of vulgarity, though I may find it difficult to excise such expletives from my daily updates. I write colloquially, and for me that occasionally includes pointless curses, often as unnecessary adjectives.

You should probably also excuse any veiled allusions to my more licentious pursuits (or lack thereof).

I went ahead and traded in my copies of Castlvania DS and Mario & Luigi DS (both good games, but I need the money) and sold my copy of Animal Crossing to Freya, and used the fundage to purchase Metroid Prime Hunters, forgetting of course that I am positively terrible at first person shooters. I always get destroyed in Halo matches-- I can't even beat the computer bots in random matches in this game. Granted, the DS control scheme is a little funky, but still. Oh well-- maybe I'll get better.

Maybe I should have gotten Trauma Center.

I think I've got a thesis for my essay, but I want to try it out on my professor before I launch into the prep work. It's kind of a complement to my previous essay, which may or may not turn out to be a good thing-- again I find myself picking a thesis based on the films I own on DVD, simply because it's much easier to do the research and analysis that way.

The pull in both directions keeps increasing. I'm having a better and better time here with each few days that pass, but I also feel as though my return will do myself and everyone I love a whole world of good. I suppose that's what I wanted to feel when I set out, right? That my return would be a happy thing for everyone, myself included?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hem. uhhh, sorry. i'm quite positive i'm the only extended family who has chanced a glance at your blog lately. if having your extended family in that void of viewers unnerves you, please feel free to tell them so. and the vulgarity is by no means anything new to me, but sorry if it bothered you i dropped by your site. just thought i'd say hello.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to be a downer, but I want to give you a warning.
While it is very true that lots of people are happily awaiting your return, don't expect a hero's welcome. People will be very excited to see you, but it might not live up to your expectations. You have millions of stories to share. People can only tolerate them in small doses. I suppose it's good that you write then.

I really don't want that to sound harsh, as if people don't care. I just don't want you to be dissapointed. And I'm just speaking from my experience. Yours could be completely different.
blow a kiss to Ireland for me.

10:09 PM  
Blogger S. said...

Four things, bitch:

First, I swear like a SAILOR in my blog from time to time. And I hope everybody I know reads it. No guilt.

Second, a note of consolation. Every paper I write? Is based on my DAD'S DVD collection. Far less convenient, I assure you.

Third, you will always be my hero, Natums, in your way. And I will always welcome you as such.

Fourth, pretty sure it took longer than a million years for life to begin. Just sayin.


BEEEEEEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Kill me.

Kisses.

- Sebastian

10:56 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Some responses--

Katie, it's not you I was worried about-- I just don't want to offend Papa. I'm sure he thinks I'm upstanding or something.

Jill-- of course I'm going to get a Hero's welcome. I am a Hero, therefore everything I get is, by definition, a "Hero's whatever." When I get up in the morning, I take a Hero's Shower. When I go from my dorm room to class, it's a Hero's Journey. When I sit down for a snack? You guessed it: Hero Sandwich.

PS. Kiss to Ireland blown. My aim's not so good, I dunno if I hit the Blarney Stone or not.

Sebastian-- Of course it took longer than a million years. There was no intended correlation between the title of my blog entry and the first line. Who do you think I am, one of those kids whose tests we graded for your mom?

Ha ha ha. Remember that? That was so fuckin' depressing.

...Sorry, Grandpa.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Nate said...

"Doctor Ums, I presume?"

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home