Top 5
My picks for an oddly-assorted top five list:
Top 5 Standard Battle Themes in Console RPGs
5. "Enemy Battle," from Golden Sun
This game was good in a lot of different ways, but did not have "the magic," as they say. Might be worth picking up again someday, if I were to ever have free time again (which I won't).
4. "Battle 1," from SaGa Frontier
Aside from that one time Anthony loaned me his copy sophomore year and I played about six hours of it, I have no real experience with SaGa Frontier. Needless to say, however, it has some of the most delightful battle music in all of RPG-dom, with its boss music and final battle themes exceptionally rockin'. Any battle theme in this game is worthy, but the first is the "standard" and so it goes here.
3. "Fight Against Monsters," from Super Mario RPG
There has never been jollier battle music, nor any tune so toe-tappin'. It's virtually impossible to hate this piece of music, or the game it's from. I think this one might actually be Yoko Shimomura, too, which might help explain how I love it so much.
2. "Cutting Edge of Notion," from Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Funky, jazzy, and the only entry on this list to prominently feature a synthesized organ. A catchy battle theme and exciting gameplay mechanics made grinding XPs in SO3 a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Listen to it, you'll like it.
1. "Leap the Precipice," from Eternal Sonata
Eternal Sonata is not the greatest game I've ever played (nor, really, have I played it to completion-- I just hopped on the co-op for some of Kari's fights), but it might have the best battle system. Certainly it has the best standard battle theme of any game I've ever encountered--the strings and swelling orchestra really make every confrontation feel genuinely epic. It's a shame that the majority of the regular enemies in the game are only of moderate difficulty--with a battle theme this cool, I would not have minded if every fight was a close one.
I know what you're thinking: first blog entry in two and a half months, and it's something nobody will care about? Oh well.
Top 5 Standard Battle Themes in Console RPGs
5. "Enemy Battle," from Golden Sun
This game was good in a lot of different ways, but did not have "the magic," as they say. Might be worth picking up again someday, if I were to ever have free time again (which I won't).
4. "Battle 1," from SaGa Frontier
Aside from that one time Anthony loaned me his copy sophomore year and I played about six hours of it, I have no real experience with SaGa Frontier. Needless to say, however, it has some of the most delightful battle music in all of RPG-dom, with its boss music and final battle themes exceptionally rockin'. Any battle theme in this game is worthy, but the first is the "standard" and so it goes here.
3. "Fight Against Monsters," from Super Mario RPG
There has never been jollier battle music, nor any tune so toe-tappin'. It's virtually impossible to hate this piece of music, or the game it's from. I think this one might actually be Yoko Shimomura, too, which might help explain how I love it so much.
2. "Cutting Edge of Notion," from Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Funky, jazzy, and the only entry on this list to prominently feature a synthesized organ. A catchy battle theme and exciting gameplay mechanics made grinding XPs in SO3 a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Listen to it, you'll like it.
1. "Leap the Precipice," from Eternal Sonata
Eternal Sonata is not the greatest game I've ever played (nor, really, have I played it to completion-- I just hopped on the co-op for some of Kari's fights), but it might have the best battle system. Certainly it has the best standard battle theme of any game I've ever encountered--the strings and swelling orchestra really make every confrontation feel genuinely epic. It's a shame that the majority of the regular enemies in the game are only of moderate difficulty--with a battle theme this cool, I would not have minded if every fight was a close one.
I know what you're thinking: first blog entry in two and a half months, and it's something nobody will care about? Oh well.
1 Comments:
Nate: Know thy audience. Video game music is ALWAYS a good topic.
Post a Comment
<< Home