09 August 2006

Disconcerting

Okay, so apparently since my copy of Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is still on loan, my brain has decided to go ahead and just start producing insanity effects in my real life.

Allow me to explain that one of my two real irrational fears in life (the other being deep, murky water) is being alone, in the dark, far away from any other human beings. For those of you who've not actually visited my house, it's important to know that it's in the middle of the woods, at least a quarter-mile away from my neighbors, and that quarter-mile is all dense forest. It's also helpful to keep in mind that my house has many large, plate-glass windows, which make it a happy and bright place in the daytime, but serve effectively as dark portals to unknown terrors come sundown. My mind constantly races with the thought-- what if, from my well lit room, I were to gaze out the window and see something gazing back?

So it was something of a surprise, as I was drifting off to sleep last night, to feel something apparently tugging at my foot, only to open my eyes to the darkness and see a shadowy silhouette standing at the foot of my bed. My ears in headphones, I couldn't hear anything, but as I scrambled for the light, shouting an obscenity in surprise, I thought I watched it move away from me towards the closed door-- and then as the light flicked on, and my headphones came off, there was nothing.

Now I recognize this was a trick of my mind. There's no way that there was actually some kind of presence there in my room last night. The house is only from the '70s, and has no tragic history associated with it, so I can't even consider the possibility of spirits abroad at night (a possibility which, were my house from the 1700s or something, I might be more willing to entertain).

This occurred right at the very moment before my mind drifted off into the realm of sleep, but you see that doesn't really make it any less scary for me: so what if it was obviously my brain playing tricks on me? I wasn't aware that my brain could construct such vivid hallucinations in the dark.

It took me a while to get to sleep after that...

2 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

I'm telling you.

People with active imaginations can construct dreamish states for themselves which are more realistic than anyone else could EVER imagine.

You should read the pages on which my mother inscribed the content of many of my childhood night terrors. Weird stuff.

Sorry you're stuck in teh dark woody house alone. Kick those creepy hallucinations out the window!

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ghosts or spirits don't only haunt old houses. I've been told by different sources that spirits often haunt objects, usually furniture. If you've got any antiques in the house, particularly newly purchased antiques, perhaps you've got yourself a ghost as well.

Not to freak you out more or anything. :p

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home