A quick note
Just had to mention this before I launch into this essay: in my film comedy seminar this morning, we watched part of a documentary on Jerry Lewis, including a clip from his film "The Bellboy" in which he plays a character named Stanley.
One of the other bellhops punches some numbers into a phone and speaks to someone on the other end: "Hey, is Stanley there? ... 'Which' Stanley? Whattaya mean 'which' Stanley?" he jokes. "The only Stanley in the world!"
At which point Stan Laurel appears beside the desk. In his usual attire and with his usual demeanor. I just about died. Stan didn't even really do anything, he just stood there and looked smarmy. It was absolutely hilarious. It's not actually Stan Laurel, of course, but it looks just like him, and it's the expectation of immediate recognition that I find so amusing.
Anyway.
One of the other bellhops punches some numbers into a phone and speaks to someone on the other end: "Hey, is Stanley there? ... 'Which' Stanley? Whattaya mean 'which' Stanley?" he jokes. "The only Stanley in the world!"
At which point Stan Laurel appears beside the desk. In his usual attire and with his usual demeanor. I just about died. Stan didn't even really do anything, he just stood there and looked smarmy. It was absolutely hilarious. It's not actually Stan Laurel, of course, but it looks just like him, and it's the expectation of immediate recognition that I find so amusing.
Anyway.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home