More inactivity
Today I set out into town to buy a train ticket into London, because I'm going to spend a day or two with Anthony before I leave for Prague. I'm looking forward to it muchly, but I'm a little worried about how we'll spend our time-- what haven't I done in London? Oh well, we can just go hang out in pubs and talk about the summer and the coming year.
I bought myself new sneaks today, because my old pair was really falling apart (and I mean really). Buying new shoes is something I do very rarely, and I don't do it well-- I become very attached to my old shoes, not emotionally but practically. I don't like shoes that aren't broken in, it takes me longer to trust shoes than it does for me to trust people. But with Prague and Ireland in the coming month, I needed footwear that wasn't going to come apart in the middle of a hike.
Of late, I have become increasingly enamored with the idea of getting a buzz cut, perhaps inspired by my German friend Lucas' quick transition from Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall to Brad Pitt in the end of Fight Club. I know, I positively know, that a buzz cut will not look good on me, and yet somehow I am still inclined to get one. The fact is that I cut my hair so rarely that when I do, I want the change to be dramatic. My hair is as long now as it has ever been (tied with freshman year of college, just before spring break), I haven't cut it since June. It is far past its optimal attractiveness point, and the longer it gets now the sillier I look (some think).
Margaret's suggestion appeals to me: wait until the Kenyon kids disperse for lunch at some point during the Ireland trip, and instead of a pub visit a barber and tell him to buzz it all off-- then reappear completely transformed.
The more I imagine it, the more I am thinking that perhaps I should not go through with this plan. Me? With a buzz cut? Yuck!
But I'm just so darned curious.
I bought myself new sneaks today, because my old pair was really falling apart (and I mean really). Buying new shoes is something I do very rarely, and I don't do it well-- I become very attached to my old shoes, not emotionally but practically. I don't like shoes that aren't broken in, it takes me longer to trust shoes than it does for me to trust people. But with Prague and Ireland in the coming month, I needed footwear that wasn't going to come apart in the middle of a hike.
Of late, I have become increasingly enamored with the idea of getting a buzz cut, perhaps inspired by my German friend Lucas' quick transition from Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall to Brad Pitt in the end of Fight Club. I know, I positively know, that a buzz cut will not look good on me, and yet somehow I am still inclined to get one. The fact is that I cut my hair so rarely that when I do, I want the change to be dramatic. My hair is as long now as it has ever been (tied with freshman year of college, just before spring break), I haven't cut it since June. It is far past its optimal attractiveness point, and the longer it gets now the sillier I look (some think).
Margaret's suggestion appeals to me: wait until the Kenyon kids disperse for lunch at some point during the Ireland trip, and instead of a pub visit a barber and tell him to buzz it all off-- then reappear completely transformed.
The more I imagine it, the more I am thinking that perhaps I should not go through with this plan. Me? With a buzz cut? Yuck!
But I'm just so darned curious.
5 Comments:
you're going to Ireland?? YAY!! where? go to Belfast. it's cool. go anywhere. except Cork. Cork is not cool.
also, there are websites you can find to try a haircut. You upload a picture of yourself, and there are 'wigs'. it's not incredibly accuarate..but fun.
Oh, 'Ums, do not buzz your hair. A haircut is acceptable...but my thought would be that buzz cuts are a hard look to pull off for most. I heart you, but i'm just not sure it's the look for you.
Then again, it's hair, and hair grows back, as you well know. ;) So, if you feel up to it, do it! You'll never really know until you try.
Go for a mohawk. Or at least a fauxhawk. Hair grows back so you might as well do something fun with it when the mood strikes. :p
Hannah-- we haven't spoken in months, and your first reappearance is to advise me to get a fauxhawk?
PRAGUE.
My envy is eternal. Come back with pictures and a new lease on life, which includes some ineffable Eastern European charm.
Shit. Prague.
Post a Comment
<< Home